Friday, July 16, 2010

Driving Bertha

This morning we set out on a short adventure in our motor home. We call her Bertha, all 36 feet and 16,000 lbs. (add an additional 15 feet for towing the car).
Many women who own RVs with their significant others refuse to learn to drive them. I am here to say that it is not only easier than one would think, but somewhat fun. I set the cruise at 65 and do just that "cruise". I stay in the right lane for the most part and everyone passes me.
I had to find out how necessary it was the hard way.

A few years ago I swore I would never drive this bus. I was about 6 mos. out from retirement. We decided we would want to spend more time on the road and wanted to have a bathroom and a shower in our home so we went into a travel trailer. Our Feather Lite was a lovely little trailer. It had the requisite bathroom and also a TV and a kitchen - big upgrades from our pop-up. Unfortunately our Feather Lite was doomed to last only one night on the road. The very first time I got behind the wheel of the car, a truck barrelled past, set the trailer to walking and as I gently applied the brake, it swung around 180 degrees on I 65 and rolled over. Fortunately the car did not roll so we were safe even though our Feather Lite was totally junked.

We did a lot of soul-searching after that to determine where to go. For the first time in our adult lives we were without a home on wheels. I told Don he had to decide what we would do as he was going to have to do all the driving from then on.

Ultimately we decided we felt safest in a class C motor home - a Winnebago Minnie. She was wonderful and Don learned to be comfortable behing the wheel in no time.

Finally I took the plunge and got behind the wheel from one rest area to another. By the time I went 20 miles we had to pry my hands from the steering wheel. Every time a truck passed me I literally froze and prayed.

That summer we went to the Winnebago Grand National Rally, an annual event for RVers to learn about their equipment, attend a few seminars, craft classes, and entertainment. They had a driving class for women which was just what I needed. It gave me the confidence to get behind the wheel again. We were headed out West for a long trek and I put on many miles growing in confidence with each one. It was preordained that every time I took over the driving we ended up racing down a mountain in a construction zone and over a mile high bridge.

Well after my first experience GNR was not my cup of tea, but Don likes it so much we kind of agreed to go every other year. Two years ago at my second GNR I was bored so while he was at seminars I found us a new coach. Hence, Bertha.
It took a little time to adjust to Bertha's added girth. I also found out that now I needed a new license to drive her. So that winter I took the written test and procured a permit so we could feel comfortable that we were within the law should anything happen.

Last winter Don became seriously ill and was unable to drive the RV home from Florida. I took that baby from Lakeland to St. Augustine, backed her into our site going around hanging tree limbs, and motored her most of the 1100 miles back to Woodridge. By the time we arrived home, driving Bertha felt no different than driving our Tahoe.
Now we are headed for our third GNR. What do you think I might come home with this time if I get bored?

1 comment:

  1. Grammy,
    Don't come home without a yacht :) and whatever you do - enjoy your time at GNR!

    Love,
    Mike & Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete