Friday, July 15, 2011

Where did the Quality go

"Buyer beware", "If it seems to good to be true it must be", "You get what you pay for".  All of these caveats came to mind last week as I spent an hour or so remaking a pillow case just so I could lie it flat to iron it. It was in a most unusual shape coming out of the dryer.  I discovered by disassembling it that the small Chinese child who likely made it could not even properly fold a piece of fabric in half and sew up the sides. It's time to pay their parents a decent wage so the kids can go to school.

You see I recently decided to buy new bedding for our bed. Khols had this wonderful half-price sale on all linens and for once my coupon in the mail was a 30 percenter. I was in shopper's heaven. So much so that on my first trip I was torn between a new bedspread and shams versus one of these bed in a bags. It was decided that since I had also wanted a comforter for Bertha, I would buy both. After all the bag came with two sets of sheets I could use on my bed at home. The total cost of a comforter, two shams, three throw pillows a bed skirt, and two sets of sheets was less than it would be to buy the sheets alone.

Well here's where the joy ends. The aforementioned pillow cases had to be remade, the sheets are very low quality though good enough for as long as they will last, the sham pillows had to be squeezed into the shams at risk of exploding, and the comforted is hardly what one would call quilted. So little stitching is in the comforter that after one use the batting is already bunching up in the corners. I did quite a nice job of quilting the comforter to keep the rest of the batting in place. The sad thing about all of this is that while I can say to myself this is alright for the price I paid, (said price was 80% off the usual price). Shame on Khol's for allowing this ********* on  their shelves and for the exorbitant initial price.

So now Bertha is quite happy with her new look, and luckily I decided on a lovely bedspread and shams for our home bedroom which is fine as is.

So anytime you find a bargain at Kohls be sure to inspect it carefully before bringing it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment