Thursday, October 28, 2010

There are still adventures to be had at home

Now that the camping season is at an end and the cool weather is setting in it is time to shift into a different kind of fun and adventure.


A week or so ago we went on our annual pumpkin ride with the Silver Spokes. The destination was fun but the real adventure is the getting there and the fellowship of friends. After the ride  along the I & M trail with the fall colors just  beginning to show, we gathered at the home of one of our fellow riders and enjoyed chili, hot dogs, campfire, and more than a few laughs. I have been reading a lot lately about how a good belly laugh daily is one of the best things for heart health. Our little circle of friends should have a long history of healthy hearts.

Yesterday was probably the last of our Indian summer days. I took a long walk in the morning around the Village Center Lakes in Woodridge and marveled at the great  town we live in. We can walk or ride our bikes along beautiful trails that bypass numerous parks and lakes accentuated by scenic bridges. We can go off into the forest preserves in two different directions or stay in our own neighborhood. http://www.woodridgeparks.org/park_lake-harriet.htm

We first moved here 40 years ago on the day of our wedding. When we outgrew that house we determined that we wanted to stay in the village and Parish and that was the best decision of our lives.

Today I spent the whole day playing housewife. What a novelty! I did all the laundry in one day including the sheets and towels and got the whole shebang folded and put away without leaving the last load in the drier.
Then I spent the whole afternoon cooking a fabulous meal for my roommates. Years ago when we were both working and still had kids at home Don and I used to joke about hiring a wife. He even went so far as to threaten to turn the stove into a planter once we got a microwave. He retired in 2000 just as I was starting a new career and he took over the housekeeping completely. The girls I worked with were so jealous because I  had a wife, and a very good one too. When I decided to follow him into retirement, neither one of us really assumed the role again. The scary thing is, I kind of enjoyed the last few days of cleaning and cooking. I don't expect it will last though.

1 comment:

  1. You are welcome anytime here that you would like to get a cooking and cleaning fix....we are falling way behind!

    Love, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete