Thursday, November 4, 2010

Birthday Celebrations

I have always believed that birthdays are something special and certainly something to celebrate. It is a time not only for the individual having the birthday but a time for all those whose lives he touches to celebrate his life.

No one celebrates more than I the birthdays of my own children. The anniversary of their births represents the anniversary of the most memorable and life changing events of my life - mostly for the better. Why wouldn't they be cause for me to celebrate?

The absolute first and most significant life changing event of my life was my wedding day. I often think how different my life would have been if I had not married Don. The scenarios are amazing and none of them as beautiful as the one I have lived.

Today was Don's birthday and from beginning to end I helped him celebrate his life. We have all seen "It's a Wonderful Life" or one of the many imitation programs based on the same premise. What would the world be like if one had never been born?

Without Don for sure there would be no Bob, Don, or Mike. Then of course the seven grandchildren would have never been. I like to think the world is a better place because we created three good citizens for it who, in turn, are well on the way to creating more.

I'm not quite sure how I myself would have been redefined. I kind of think I would have led a single life. That in itself would probably not necessarily be a bad thing. I'm sure I would have had a distinguished career as a nurse. The one I had was pretty significant, but with more time to devote to it I may have expanded my accomplishments tremendously.

My friendships would be based on the nurses I worked with (of course I have those friends anyway) rather than on people we share a common bond with through our faith.

The Peace Corps lost out as that was in my ultimate plan, but I have had a couple of opportunities to exercise my missionary ambitions in different ways. 

The Navy also lost out because when we started dating, I was dieting to make the weight requirement to join the navy during my final year of college. I possibly would be a Vietnam vet today with a lot of the angst that goes along with that.

Most of all, I would never have found my soul mate. The person who is not only my husband, but the best friend in all the world. He always sees me as beautiful, smart, clever, intelligent, good, etc. He has never seen my warts. As long as I have him I know that I can count on support from him whether I am right or wrong. I always know that someone loves me unconditionally. Most of all I always have someone to play with and this is from the girl who was always picked last for the baseball team.

Without him there would be no travels, camping, nightly dinner conversation, bike rides, and certainly no Grammy's Adventures.

So tonight, here's to the guy who broke the mold and set the bar when it comes to being a husband, a father,and a friend. And I celebrate his birthday because that is to celebrate his life.

1 comment: